Homemade Granola Gifting

Tuesday, December 16, 2014


I love granola. I used to love Post Cereal’s boxed version of granola when I was growing up and could consume one million calories without blinking an eye.  Then, as I became more health conscious, I moved onto “healthier” versions of granola, like Cascadian Farms or Bare Naked. 

But, here’s the thing, all boxed cereals you can buy at the grocery store, even granolas, are loaded with sugar!  And the reason is that sugar makes things taste delicious, until you become aware of the poor effects sugar has on your body.  Homemade versions of granola are a dime a dozen, and I’ve tried many of them.  At last, though, I found a recipe that could indeed live up to its claim of being the best.  

This version has dried blueberries and yogurt strawberry clusters.  
How good is it?  Well, I give bags of these as gifts to friends and neighbors, and I am always asked for the recipe.  I’m not much for random gifts just to spend money… If I like you, I bake or cook for you, because it shows that I’ve taken time to make something that I think you’ll enjoy and that I want to nourish you with good-for-you food that tastes good. 

And with Christmas fast approaching, what better time to share a recipe with you to help spread some love and Christmas cheer? 

GF Big Cluster Maple Granola adapted from Smitten Kitchen’s Cookbook
  • 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
  • 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (you can use any nut you prefer- I happen to LOVE pecans)
  • 1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal (original recipe calls for wheat germ, and I have also used coconut flour)
  • 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/2 cup (or increase to a cup if a sweeter granola is preferred) maple syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 1/2 cups raisins or other dried fruit (I also like to use dried blueberries)
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Combine all ingredients, minus the egg whites and dried fruit, in a large bowl, tossing to coat evenly. Whisk the egg whites in a small bowl until frothy. Stir into the granola mixture, distributing it throughout. Spread it in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
  2. Bake 45 to 55 minutes. About halfway through the baking time, use a large spatula to turn over sections of the granola, careful not to break up the clusters. When the granola is evenly browned, take it the pan out of the oven, and cool completely. Once it’s completely cool, break up granola into whatever size clusters delight you. Sprinkle in dried fruit.
  3. The granola keeps at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. I keep mine in a glass container on the counter for easy snacking or breakfasting.  

And you know those egg whites you used?  Don’t throw those yolks away!  Put them in a container and place them in the fridge… Use the yolks to create a custard base for ice cream!  A non-alcoholic eggnog ice cream recipe will shortly be upon you.  

Time to fly,
Liz 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs