A South Georgia Easter

Monday, March 28, 2016

I hope y'all all had the happiest Easter! Ours was great, if a bit wet outside. It was one of those rare rainy Easters, which is always a bit of a bummer, but the kids didn't seem to care because the Easter Bunny came either way. 
We spent the weekend at my parents' house in South Georgia, doing South Georgia things like making three different coconut cakes and a chicken salad containing everything but the kitchen sink. Since becoming a married woman and moving away from my childhood home, I have really missed bustling around in my mama's kitchen with her and my Nana, so it was nice to do that again. We had to stay inside the entire weekend due to non-stop rain, but it was still a nice visit full of food and Easter Bunny bribery for the beasties. 
The Easter Bunny doesn't visit naughty children. 
I'm going to miss using that line. I guess I'm going to go ahead and have to bring out Santa as a bargaining chip, and it's not even April yet. 
The Easter Bunny did come, and he did not disappoint. I'm always interested to see what other Easter Bunnies bring in other families. Our Easter baskets are usually the equivalent of a Christmas stocking. Fun small trinkets and a shit-ton of candy, but nothing extravagant or too expensive. I've seen some families only give a few eggs, and I've seen other families give iPads, but we try to stick to the equivalent of Christmas stocking goodies. Bob's haul included a Star Wars fighter pilot, a toy truck, and a Stormtrooper chocolate figure, while Viv received a kitty toy, a kitty book, and a new pair of jelly shoes. Both kiddos got a big tube of bubbles and an ungodly amount of candy...most of which I ate while they were napping. Oops. 
We decided to do some throwbacks to our Easter menu this year, including a Watergate Salad and a retro bunny cake. My mama said that her grandmother used to make these bunny cakes for her every Easter, and she wanted my kids to have those memories. So we made a bunny cake for the beasties (literally one of three coconut cakes. We have problems), and they LOVED it. It was so funny watching them look at it and try to sneak tastes, although Vivi was still convinced that it was a kitty because she meowed at it incessantly. Not sure how long this cat obsession phase is going to last, but it's pretty adorable. 
 My Nana is the world's worst at treat dispensing, and the children have begun to catch on. But I guess that's what Nanas are for, right? :)
After eating a huge Easter spread with family, we went and took long naps. There's nothing better than an Easter Sunday nap with a full belly. 
We are now back home and back to the daily grind. Dishes are washing, laundry is laundering, and I am wishing that the floor would clean itself. 
We are looking forward to a busy week of play dates, hair appointments (bye, roots!), and Daddy returning home to us. Hope y'all had a beautiful Easter and have a great week! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs