Perking Up

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Y'all, the day has finally come.
BACK TO SCHOOL!
Hey, give your sister a first-day-of-school-hug. 
We dropped our kiddos off for their first day of nursery school (Vivi's first day ever), and there was nary a tear shed anywhere. They were both so excited, and this chick couldn't have been more excited either. 
Three really excited people.
I realize I've been MIA lately, and there's a simple explanation for that--I'm losing my everloving mind. Within the span of a day last week, I lost my phone (literally LOST. Like bye-bye, phone), crashed my computer, and lost two of our remote controls, among other things. I had no way to communicate with the outside world for almost a week. I know that my husband is completely confounded and lost as to how an educated, semi-functional woman can lose/ruin multiple devices. And the answer is...I blame it on my children. These things would have never happened before having kids. I used to have myself together. I don't know what has happened since becoming a mother, but I'm pretty sure my children have sucked the intelligence out of me completely. 

One of my best girlfriends came to visit me last week, which helped to occupy us during the last week of Alex's work trip. We had the best time doing nothing. You know those friends whom you can go without seeing for years and then pick right back up with? She's one of those. We just hung around the house in our pajamas, enjoyed each others' company, and talked about all kinds of nonsensical topics like "what would you eat if you knew you had 24 hours left to live?" and "why do British people say their R's funny?" and "what do you think your spirit animal is?" You know, those conversations. 
And in case you're curious...
I think the kiddos get sick of seeing me every minute of every day, so they loved having another fun person to play with. And although my friend Helen loved them to pieces, it granted me a certain amount of satisfaction when she admitted, "Wow, this is really hard!" Everybody began to unravel toward the end of the week. The kids were waking up at 5:15 every morning and barely napping. Bobby was in tantrum overload and refused to eat anything but lollipops for days (spoiler alert-I won that battle), while Vivi was teething. I was exhausted. Helen was exhausted. It was like the Walking Dead, except everyone still had their limbs intact. At one point Helen had to leave to go on a walk, and then at another point she took a shot of whiskey out of a baby bottle. And she remarked, "I am so impressed by how calm you are around them!" Which was the ultimate lie compliment a person can give to me ;)

Alex finally returned on Saturday afternoon, and we were all relieved to see our Six o'clock Savior. I immediately punched out on the time clock and went to take a fat nap. There is truly no sweeter sound than hearing your children misbehaving downstairs for your husband instead of you. 
They just need a little taste of your day.
But today is a new day, and things are beginning to look up. I had to completely reboot my entire computer, but it works like brand new; we found the remote controls; and a new iPhone is currently in the mail on its way to me. And my kids are in SCHOOL, playing and having the best time with their new little friends! Praise the Lawd!
So I am sitting in Barnes and Noble, listening to Indian sitar music, drinking a hot chai tea, and dreaming about Fall. And now Indian food. 

I almost feel like a normal human being!
More coming later this week because I'm getting back on my game. Finally.
XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs