Books for the Cultured Child

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Okay, I'm kind of kidding about the cultured child thing. We aren't that pretentious over here, since my kid eats out of the garbage sometimes. But Bobby has finally gotten interested in reading books before bed (it only took almost two years), so I like to keep our little library interesting. While I was in Barnes and Noble the other day, you know what? I realized there are just tons of fun books in every subject, and while there are plenty of silly and nonsensical books, there are also plenty of books with a purpose. Books that teach while still remaining interesting. Here are a few of my favorites*. 

*Keep in mind that these are for a variety of ages. Some are for tots, while others are for older kids. I never really pay attention to the age recommendations, because Bobby likes to sit in my lap and listen and look at the pictures, regardless of whether he totally understands..but to each his own.




All of these are great, but as a former English Major myself, I am particularly partial to the English literature baby books. The BabyLit series is my favorite. Don't worry, you aren't actually reading Anna Karenina to a baby. The BabyLit books are centered around counting/colors/etc, and use classic literature as a tool. It's especially great if you are familiar with the classic literature in question, because you can ad lib and fill in the gaps, but it's totally fine if you aren't familiar with it, either. Good Night, Mr. Darcy is an adorable parody of the favorite Good Night, Moon; I just love it. All of the books on the English board are baby and tot appropriate.

I also love the books on the Grammarian board, since bad grammar drives me nuts. These are not really appropriate for babies. They will be great for older kids, though. 

I love, love, love the Forever Young book on the Musician board. Mainly because it is such a sweet prayer for your child. Aside from that, the illustrations are fun for kids, but it also has tons of musical allusions that the Rock and Roll enthusiast can get behind. I genuinely enjoy reading it, because I get a lot out of it, too. 

The books on the Artiste board are great for tots. I am especially fond of the Pantone Colors book...as in I may put it on my own coffee table. It's so neat.

I also love the books on the Feminist board. The Rosa Parks and Amelia Earhart books could be good for tots, but the other books are probably better for kids just a little bit older. I really want Vivi to know about the ladies who have paved the way for equal rights for women, and I want her to grow up knowing that she can do anything she wants to do.

And, regardless of your political views and opinions of our current president, I think we can all agree that his children's book is pretty amazing. It really is a lovely book. I love all the books on the Patriot board, and I want my kids to grow up proud of our country and aware of our struggles. 

I hope that y'all will check some of these books out! There is something for every kid (and adult) here, regardless of age and interest. They really are adorable.

Happy Hump Day!
Keep on keepin' on!
-Annette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs