Leavin’ a Plate For Santa- A Christmas Cookie Edition Without Tears

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Yowzers.  I read Annette’s post the other day, and I wanted a stiff drink, which is sayin’ something, because I don’t really like stiff drinks.  Our Christmas Cookie story here is far less dramatic.  The Boy loves helping me in the kitchen with measuring and rolling out cookie dough, so our kitchen affairs are most enjoyable.  We have tried the whole cookie-decorating thing before, and it hasn’t ever been that rewarding of a task (the fun had did not equal the time to get it ready and clean up).  After searching for Christmas projects to do together, I discovered the magical tip for a toddler to successfully ice a cookie, and it’s so genius, simple and worthwhile!


I used a basic sugar cookie recipe (they were good, but not pass the recipe along good) and these cookie cutters from King Arthur.  At first, I was disappointed by the size of the cookie cutters, but after using them and eating the cookies, I actually like the size.  It made it easy for The Boy to use the “stamps” a lot, and the cookies were the perfect size for a kiddo.  Plus, if you didn’t want to bother with icing, these make a nice design on the cookie.



I was able to fit about 20 on the pan, which is helpful since once they cool, and you set up the decorating station, you can roll out another pan while a toddler is still decorating the 20 that came out. 


The big decorating tip for a toddler is to use a silicon pastry brush!  Genius, I tell you!  Kids can dip the brush in the icing, glob it on the cookies, swirl it around, and you’re not worrying abut a knife-wielding toddler!  Plus, it’s similar to painting, which most kids love to do, so making it edible is a big score in any kid’s book.


I had red colored sugar out to put on top of the icing, but I soon found that The Boy’s technique did not make it to that part.  His technique went something like this: Dip brush in icing, glob on cookie, pick up cookie, put in mouth, repeat.  There were quite a few cookies missing by the time I put the second pan in the oven.  I don’t think The Boy realizes that one should not eat that much sugar in one sitting… He appears to delight in it. 


We returned home from wonderful Colorado only to find out that Colorado received a huge helping of snow the day after we left, and we are here in rainy Florida.  Rain does not equal winter.  I just want heaps of snow, buckets of snow, truckloads of snow!  Alas, we will have to hope Santa has water-skis. 



Time to fly and MERRY CHRISTMAS,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs