Friday and Stuff

Friday, November 20, 2015

I haven't spent much time online--or doing much of anything--lately. The terrorist attacks in Paris last week coupled with the drama going on domestically and the pictures of the Syrian refugee kids blasted in my face every time I pick up my computer have been bumming me out. I certainly don't have the answers; I can only thank God that I was born on the side that I'm on and pray that He keeps my family and country safe. But man, it's had me in a sobered mood this week. Add a tornado in the neighborhood to that, and this week has been kind of a bummer all the way around. Three hours curled up in a tiny space in my hall closet is not the way I planned on spending the allotted "free time" I get every week. 
But I decided today to stop dwelling on the things I cannot change and to be thankful for my blessings. At least the tornado didn't actually hit my house, right? There will always be terrible things going on in the world, but I can't dwell on those things or else I will drive myself crazy. So I started decorating for Christmas, because if that won't perk up your mood, then nothing will. I lit cozy candles. I listened to jazzy Christmas tunes. I even took a shower, for the love of God. I am as perky as I can get at this point. 
This last week hasn't been a complete waste; we spent some time with my parents in Georgia, and the kids had a blast, as always. They have a massive yard and farm for the beasties to run wild in, and they were in hog heaven, especially when the Grandparents weaponized them with gardening tools. Both of my parents love gardening, and they always encourage eating playing in the dirt. As I am more of an indoor girl, that is something I would never do; most of my life's efforts are spent in vain trying to get my kids out of the dirt. That must be why they love the farm so much. It's funny to watch them explore and see what they naturally gravitate to on their own. Vivi pretty much stuck to gardening, while Bob became utterly intrigued with the water fountain..and the doggy door, but I didn't get a picture of that. 
Along with my change-in-attitude today, we have some exciting things going on this weekend. We are meeting friends tonight for a Christmas parade and to welcome Santa to Destin. Bobby finally understands the concept of Santa Claus this year, so I'm really excited to see his excitement! Alex returns to us tomorrow, just in time to watch football. Little does he know that I am going to enlist his help decorating the front of the house :)
And then we have family pictures on Sunday. Can't decide if that is going to be fun or torturous, but we shall see. 

Here are some things on my radar this weekend:

1) This white felt garland is my one of my fave decor items ever. I love it for Christmas, of course, but it's great for adding a little festive-ness to the fireplace or a chalkboard year round! 

2) I've started lighting my favorite winter candle lately: B&B Fireside. It's a little off-putting at first sniff if you are more of a floral gal, but trust me--it gets so much better once you light it. It smells literally exactly like a fire, which makes me feel so cozy and nostalgic for falls and winters past. WoodWick also makes a great fireside candle, but my favorite is still the good ol' Bath & Body Works one. 

3) Speaking of fireside, there is nothing more I would love than to curl up by the side of a fire with this stunning fringe blanket. Isn't it so pretty? If you need a gift for a loved one who appreciates fun home decor, this may be the ticket.

4) This tunic is one of my favorite buys this fall. I've come to terms with the fact that I am pear shaped and that's never going to change, but one of the biggest downsides to that is that it's really difficult to find tunic-length tops that don't get too tight around the hips. This shirt eliminates that problem. It's inexpensive and super soft, but my favorite part is that it has slits on the sides, which accommodates a more robust hip/bottom region. It's great with leggings or jeans, and I wear it a lot it underneath a thin vest.

4) I love dressing the kiddos in traditional Christmas colors most of the time, but I also love going with the fun, technicolor designs, too. I snagged this colorful sweater dress for V, and can't wait to pair it with some tights and boots.

5) I can't leave out Bobcat when it comes to holiday finery, so I recently picked him up a couple of festive t-shirts, including this holla-day shirt and this reindeer games shirt.  My favorite one is this Elf shirt. It just describes his mischievous nature down to a tee. I also love this Yeti sweater from J.Crew; it would be so cute for a little boy to wear for Christmas ;)

6) The Southern Living Christmas issue. I mean, this is a given every year. But everything in this is perfection, especially this recipe for gnocchi mac-and-cheese. That's going to be a must-try this Christmas! 

7) Watch this and smile. You're welcome. You're also smiling, aren't you?

HAPPY FRIDAY!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs