weekending

Monday, October 19, 2015

Last weekend was full. It was full of food, full of activities, and full of family fun. 
Friday was a pretty low-key day around here, when Vivi decided that she would now like to climb on top of everything. Lately I have found her on the dining table, on the counter, and she can climb up on our bed, too. But Friday I found her atop my piano. Bobby was the one who ratted her out to me. He came up and grabbed my hand urgently, saying "Mama, Bibi! Bibi NO! Bibi get down!" It was hard to not chuckle at the sight of her up there, and I did snap a picture so that my husband would believe me. I don't know what I'm going to do with that little wild gal. 
After naps, I decided to focus the rest of the day on things that would be fun just for them. No errands, no riding here and there, no cleaning the house. I wanted to do something that the kids would really enjoy with no catch. We went to the playground for a little while, and then we went to get fro-yo afterward. 
And I'll tell you what- not the first bit of misbehavior out of either one. Though this could be because we were eating fro-yo, and I'm pretty sure that it's scientifically impossible to be in a bad mood when you're eating fro-yo. Either way, I was impressed with such good behavior that we decided to venture out and eat Thai food for dinner. And, shockingly, things went pretty well there, too. Maybe we're turning a corner. Fingers crossed. 
Saturday was a beautiful day with weather perfect for jeans and a light jacket. We decided to get out and enjoy the weather, since our game was a late game, so we took the kids to the Boggy Bayou Mullet Festival (which is possibly even more awesome than it sounds). It's your typical Southern fall festival--bands, beer, booths, sketchy carnies, sketchy carny rides that beg the question "exactly how old are these?" The highlight for me, of course, is the food. This is the place you want to go if you want something fried. Doesn't matter what. They'll bread it and fry it. Bonus points if it comes on a stick. We had fried green tomatoes and buffalo chicken and waffles, which were otherworldly-good. 
Double-fisting fried green tomatoes like a lady. 
The beasties had a blast on the scary-old kiddie rides, but I think that they had the best time at the petting zoo area. Vivi was obsessed with the little pigs, and she stalked the chickens and the goat. Bobby enjoyed feeding the animals and was slightly more restrained, but he really got excited about the horses. He asked to ride on them; I agreed, assuming that they would put him on the mini-pony. But they let him choose, and he chose the largest horse they had. So he sat on that horse and rode like a boss, and then was very proud of himself afterward. 
 
The Mullet Fest turned out to be a great time. I mean, where else can you kiss micro-pigs, eat fried red velvet cake, and see obscene tattoos on a 65 year old lady's breast? You're never gonna get that kind of Grade A people watching anywhere else in the world. 
We made it back home just in time for the UGA/Mizzou game, and that was one of the most boring ball games I've watched in a while. It was a battle of field goals--not one touchdown was made during the entire game! I don't think I've ever seen that happen before. So it was a little disappointing from an entertainment standpoint, but, as a true Dawg fan, I can't complain too much since it's a win. 

Alex left around 4am Sunday morning to go to Tucson for a few days, so I'm flying solo right now. Yesterday we hung around and watched Curious George: A Halloween Boo Fest. That's a great little time filler kid's movie on Netflix that they love; it's so cute that I found myself watching along, because it's really hard for me to resist anything Fall-related. After naps, we made a Target run, where I discovered that Target has solved all of my shopping woes. These carts. 
This cart is literally the only way that I can keep my kids apart so they can't physically annoy one another. If they're apart, then they're fine. Regular carts don't work; toddler car carts don't work; even my stroller won't currently work, because they kick across at each other and fight like animals. And it's almost just not worth it for me to go shopping anywhere with them if those are my options. Until I discovered this cart. I put one in the shopping basket up front and the other one in the very back. There's no way to touch. And you know what? The Target trip with swimmingly. It was fine. There was no fussing. No kicking. No tears. No fighting. No screaming. Bobby didn't even holler "Help me!!" I may never shop anywhere else but Target until the other stores can get on Target's level and get these carts. 

Aside from these random weekend excursions, we also got our fill of the festive weather and took many strolls in the great outdoors. We are looking forward to a smooth-sailing week and enjoying the crisp, Fall weather before it disappears and goes right back to 85 degrees. 
Happy Monday!
Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs