Family Fun & Fighter Jets

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

September has been so busy that I only just now realized it's almost gone. The Etsy shop has taken off a bit and has kept me so busy filling orders in my "spare time" that I haven't had time for much else. So I've been laying low this month, and blogging has been a bit slow. I've laid so low that the month has almost completely passed me by. I'm okay with that, though, because October is my favorite month of the year, and I'm eager for it to get here.
In the meantime, we have been having lots of fun around here. We recently took a mini-vacay to Amelia Island to spend time with family. The kids had a blast swimming in the resort pools, playing eating sand, and watching me attempt to ride a bike (spoiler alert-not pretty). And I had a blast making sweet love to the morning breakfast buffet. Calories don't count on vacation; everybody wins. Buffets for life.
 
The weather was overcast for most of our trip, but it was awesome to feel a slight fall breeze during our bike ride; just enough to make being outside feel pleasant instead of unbearable. And Vivi and I quickly learned that we share similar feelings about being forced to bike through nature.
Aside from our wonderful little trip, I also recently ventured out on another fun excursion. I took an F-15 taxi yesterday. It was pretty cool to see what all Alex goes through when he prepares to fly. We taxied down the runway going moderately fast, and I felt a surge of power when I pushed the throttle and the afterburners flared. I secretly hoped that my pilot would take me airborne, but realistically that would've probably been illegal and career-ending for him. And I probably would've vomited all over myself and died. So probably not worth it. 
I have to admit that I've become a bit jaded after being around fighter jets and pilots for the better part of a decade. Fast planes, jet noise, and whisky-tinged flight suits seem normal to me now. But it was neat to actually ride inside the plane and wear the g-suit that Alex wears and just get a taste of what he goes through in a day's work. Because it's not a normal job, and sometimes I forget that. 
And for the first time ever, Alex played Mr. Mom in loungewear at the pre-school morning drop off while I sat in a squadron bar eating doughnuts in a large adult onesie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs