Pop Stars

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

It's been hotter than hell lately, and we have been looking for fun ways to beat the heat. My kiddos love popsicles, which got me thinking that it may be a good way to sneak some extra fruit into their diets.
I invested in this popsicle maker, which I really like because it makes 10 popsicles at once. We started out doing mixed fruit pops using berries, kiwi, peaches, and juice. I must admit, however, that the kiwi wasn't my favorite addition, and I will not be repeating that fruit again. It looks pretty, though!
   Any extra help you can get is a bonus. And remember that it's good to keep knives out of reach ;)
 The next batch I tried were watermelon pops. These are easy; it's just pureed watermelon with a squirt of lime juice and a couple of chopped mint leaves!
 
And the final batch were yogurt pops. I tried these two different ways. I pureed plain yogurt with fresh peaches and a little agave nectar, and then I poured them into the molds for some yummy peach smoothie pops. The other yogurt pops were the simplest of all. They made from blueberry yogurt poured straight into the mold and layered with some fresh blueberries.
I'm looking for a good recipe for homemade chocolate pudding to see how that freezes next. I'll keep you posted.
  
I had fun making these, and the kids love them. Best of all is that I feel good about them eating something homemade with some real fruit in it.
Unfortunately, there's always going to be someone mean to take your splintery popsicle sticks away from you. So bear that in mind.
Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs