On Wednesdays We Wear Pink

Wednesday, February 11, 2015



Bless her heart, this was her best morning ever. We had strawberry cupcakes for breakfast. After Vivi had finished chowing down on her cupcake, I began cleaning her up, and I spotted a large, pristine chunk of cake sitting in her bib. So, like any normal, red-blooded American mother, I went into scavenging mode and picked it up to eat for myself. Unfortunately, in my gluttonous haste to get a sugar fix, I forgot that I had also fed her sausage this morning before the cupcake. So I got a bite of that in with it, too. Sausage and strawberries, not a great combo. And don't you even pretend to judge me for eating my kid's leftovers. You know you do it, too.

Anyway, Happy Valentine's Week! 
My parents were sweet enough to come visit this past weekend and help me out. It was a nice way to break up the time of this 3 week work trip Alex has been on for what seems like 3 months. Aside from shopping, my favorite thing to do with my mama is to bake, and we baked some sugar cookies. It was wonderful to have them here for a few days; the kids love them, and it was awesome to have people around who know how to clean up their own messes ;)

Today is the Valentine's Day party for Bobby's little classroom, and I am bringing some treats. Vivi and I spent yesterday whipping up some Strawberry White Chocolate Milkshake cupcakes. We also did quite a bit of quality control testing because I am a firm believer that a baker should always sample her cakes. Never ever trust a skinny baker. Something is wrong with that picture.


This is my first Valentine's as a mom with a kid in a classroom, meaning it's my first time to do Valentines for other children. I wasn't sure what to do. When I was little, you gave out the cheesy cards that came in a pack from the grocery store, and you called it a day. But now we live in a day of Pinterest. I started browsing for ideas but began to get lost in a sea of cleverly-worded, die-cut cards apparently created by a mother with a PhD in graphic design. I don't even own a printer. So I nixed that. I was in the middle of crafting a few bows for Vivi, and I realized I had WAY too much felt and sparkle paper left over, so I decided to make the girls in Bobby's class a few Valentines bows. It took a few minutes, but I hope they will enjoy them. 

Lest you begin rolling your eyes at me, don't worry--the kids are still getting the cheapo boxed Valentine's cards from Walmart. 

But at least they're good ones.

And the boys in his class are getting Blow Pops, which I just now realized is probably totally inappropriate for 2 year olds, but that's not my problem too late now.

I have been trying to work with Bobby on some learning games lately, and we are in the middle of a Color Study. This is where you pick one color to focus on, and you go around looking for objects in that particular color. Our color for February is pink ('tis the season), and we have plenty of material to work with between Vivi and myself. I don't know how much of this he is actually comprehending, as he seemed to prefer spraying the entire aerosol can of hairspray all over his sister instead of talking about the color, but it can't hurt. And to be fair, her hair was definitely not looking its best. But regardless of how much the kiddos are learning, at least I can sleep at night knowing that I gave it a shot. 

I've noticed that I have been gravitating toward pink in general a lot lately. Well, okay, pink is my favorite color. But I've been noticing a lot of it in stores lately. 

 
I adore all shades of pink, from blush and bashful to fuchsia, but I am especially into this neon coral-pink color I've been spotting around lately. It's really fun and makes me ready for beach days. 



Wouldn't those neon coral patent pumps be a fab pop of color to an otherwise neutral outfit? Maybe it's my earnestness for spring, but I am LOVING all of the fun pink everywhere. It's a nice way to brighten up this tail-end of winter. The weather has been beautiful and fairly warm here lately, although the same cannot be said for our friends up North, bless their hearts. My cousin is in law school at Harvard, and I feel so bad for his Southern boy self all snowed in up there. We have been enjoying lots of days outside lately.

It can get a little overwhelming single-parenting two babes after a while, especially when one of those is a strong-willed toddler who enjoys slinging our fire-poker around and wallowing in ketchup. A favorite pick-me-up I've been enjoying lately are fresh flowers throughout the downstairs. 


I was having a particularly exhausting and rough day the other day--you know, the kind where you cry under large sunglasses in public--and my sweet friend had a beautiful arrangement of tulips sent to my house later that afternoon. My day had just gone from bad to worse when the doorbell rang, and I was dumbfounded opening it up to the flower delivery man. The card read 
"You are a good mom! Cheer up!"
Tears immediately sprang to my eyes, but they were good tears this time. I felt so grateful to have somebody "get" me and do the right thing at the right time.  Every mama needs another mama best friend who knows when to send flowers.
I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and now we only have 3ish days until Alex returns. Him walking through the door will be Valentine's Day present enough for me. As for his present, I promise to shower and not wear sweatpants. 
That's love.

Keep on keepin' on!
-Annette


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs