Halloween in the Hizzy

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Never does one season excite me the same way that Halloween does. I love the way that the days are slowly winding down, the temperatures are finally beginning to ease off a bit, and pumpkin spice shit is everywhere you turn your head. What a time to be alive!
We finally got a little hint of a breeze a few days ago, and I made the executive call that it was a perfect day to get outside and decorate. I turned on my Halloween playlist (gotta have one) and got to work hanging my spider webs.

Side note- our area is known for having a snake problem, so maybe spray painting a rubber snake and leaving him on our front patio wasn't the kindest thing for me to do. But I have genuinely scared my neighbors, my aunt, and the post man! That's something, I guess. :)
Norm the Skeleton is my gardener and is clearly why my flowers are dying.
 We do own a lot of Halloween decorations, mainly because I have previously hosted a lot of Halloween parties for my friends. Also, our last house had a massive front porch, so I needed enough decor to fill all that space. But now that we have downsized on our porch size, I'm trying to figure out where to put what. Several things have come inside to find new homes. 
Most of my Halloween decor is stupidly cheap. I tear twigs out of the woods and then tie the little Dollar Store ravens to them. The wreath is a cheap grapevine wreath that I spray painted black, and then I fastened black (spray painted) roses on it, a black (spray painted) raven, and then a black (spray painted) snake. Maybe people should start calling me the Spray Paint Queen. 
Then I pile on multiple layers of pumpkins. My favorite pumpkin of all time is the black one with gold studs from Target. It's the best pumpkin ever. 
 I usually will invest in one slightly more expensive item each Halloween. Last year, I invested in Norm, our beloved family skeleton. This year, I invested in what Vivi affectionately calls, "Bad Kitty." It's this black cat that can sense movement, and when you walk by, his eye glow green and he makes an awfully dramatic cat yowl. Much like the two year old bad kitty I already have.
This one.
Target had some cute science room beakers in their dollar spot this year, which totally took me back to the time I had to take Chemistry 1104 about three times in college. I am not in science for a reason. I wasn't exactly sure what to do with them, but I ended up using them as vases on our breakfast table. I would love to try dyeing some roses black when Halloween rolls around, but we will see how ballsy I feel then; I could see that going terribly awry and my entire kitchen covered in black food coloring. Like I said, I'm not in science for a reason. 
I actually own this antique candelabra and keep it out year-round, but let's pretend it's Halloween decor. 
 I think my favorite part is the entryway, where we have bats, spiderwebs, Stevie Knicks quotes, and creepy avian candleholders. Like you do.
Seriously considering keeping that creepy claw candleholder out year round. Weird or not?
And then we have the shitshow of a dining room. I'm not finished in here. I have way too many decorations left from our old house, but I don't know where to put them. I tried using some of it in the dining room, and--with the cow painting--it has somehow turned out looking like a satanic dinner ritual. But I swear I'm going to amend this. And I'm not a witch. 
In keeping with the festive season, we made bat cookies the other day. The kids had a blast with it. Unfortunately we ate them all up before we had time to make icing for them. 
#oops
I hope everyone is having a great week and getting into the Halloween spirit!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs