Friday Favorites: Monday Edition

Monday, September 19, 2016

Last week was a busy week for our little family. We spent a large portion of it trying to scurry about and get a lot of household improvements and tasks in order before Alex returned to work on Friday. I also spent quite a bit of time resting my body and mentally/physically healing and prepping myself for the future, since I know that I will not be able to rest at my leisure once I'm back on the clock full-time all day. Toddlers don't understand the meaning of relax
It'd be a whole lot cooler if they did. 
I don't get a lot of one-on-one time with either of my kids, since they're so close in age and have the exact same schedule. I've considered taking them to do things separately many times, but every time they seem so sad to be separated that I give in and either take them both wherever I was planning to go, or I abort the mission entirely. But one day last week, Vivi woke up from her nap earlier than Bob did. I needed to make a grocery run, and I thought that this would be perfect timing to have a little Mama+Vivi time together while Alex stayed home with a napping Bobby. She was so proud to go alone with me; she brought along one of her little kitty cats, and she was thrilled to have both steering wheels to herself on the shopping cart. She licked her cookies and kept her sunglasses on the entire time and meowed at all the passersby. Things were going great. Until they weren't. Out of nowhere, she decided she wanted to get out and shop like a big girl. I decided to let her, since I only had her to tend to, but that backfired when I realized at checkout that she had sneaked in about 6 jars of sauerkraut into the cart. Finally, I couldn't get her wiley little ass back into the shopping cart seat, so I ended up carrying her slung across my shoulder, kicking and screaming, as I pushed the full shopping cart using only the force of my amazing breasts. A good rack is so multifunctional. 
But I learned a good lesson that day: 2 year olds are assholes who have no business grocery shopping under any circumstances and regardless of what kind of bribery you may have. Just. Don't. Do. It. I think I'll save my grocery runs when the kids are at school or when Alex is home. It's just not worth it. 
I did some last minute house shopping last week, since I have been trying to tie up some loose ends in a few of the rooms. I have had a weird marble/stone/geode fetish going lately, and I ended up finding the perfect little marble topped side table to go beside my bedroom chair. I also tried on about a thousand cute fall things at Target (cannot wait for flannel weather!), and I found the perfect little prize in the dollar section: Star Wars masks. The kids had the best time chasing each other around the house with those things and beating each other up until Bobby finally cried uncle (Viv always wins). 
We went to the neighborhood playground multiple times, although the most notable outing involved Viv getting hit in the face with a swing and Bobby finally mastering the little rock climbing wall. It was an afternoon of many tears and much celebration all rolled into one. Our neighbor gave Bobby her son's old toddler recliner from when he was a little boy, and Bobby is obsessed with it. He reclines and watches Ghostbusters with his hands in his pants like a real man. 
Friday finally came, and we headed up to the Air National Guard base for Alex to swear in and begin one of his new jobs. During the ceremony, Vivi decided it was her show, and she danced around awkwardly in front of everyone with no self-awareness or regard to the situation at hand; meanwhile Bobby was tugging on my dress begging to go see the F-15s. Totally a place for young children to be. After the swearing in, we indulged Bobby and let him sit outside and watch the jets take off. That is his happy place, after all. We were so proud of Daddy, and we left the base excited to begin our new routine as a daytime trio. 
Our weekend was great. I experimented in the kitchen with a new cake recipe, collaborated with my adorable neighbor about what to plant in my front yard (and um, how to garden in general..), and played with the kids. Saturday was an awesome Fall day, minus the hot-as-balls Florida weather. We had a lazy morning, went to the community farmer's market, and then I made homemade salted caramel while the kids napped and Alex watched football. And then UGA won by the skin of our teeth, but a win is a win, and that wrapped up a pretty awesome Saturday. 
It's been a while since I've done a FF post, and I meant to do it actually on Friday, but out of nowhere I napped instead. Here are a few things on my radar lately:
  • I am completely and utterly obsessed with these Kendra Scott abalone shell earrings that I got a few weeks ago. The Danielle style is a larger earring--a definite statement piece--and the dark abalone shell is SO pretty. The shell stone goes with every single thing I own (except yoga pants), and the earrings work for every season. I get compliments on them literally every time I wear them, which is a whole lot. So if you are in the market for a great set of earrings, these are them. Trust me.
  • It's Halloween PJ season! I love buying the kids seasonal pajamas, and GAP has some great ones, per usual. I got Vivi this adorable ghost kitty set (pink ghost kitties with bows? Yes, please!), and Bob got this fun monster set that he loves to wear. I also couldn't help myself and got Vivi this other set because they were too darn cute with the witch hats and kitty masks. Yes to all the kitties!
  • I picked up this hat recently "to use for decor," but I have started wearing it a lot and really love it. It's still just a little warm down here to wear a felt hat for too long, but once it starts cooling off a little (or if you are lucky enough to live somewhere that has Fall weather), then I know it's going to be on heavy rotation when I don't want to wash my hair. Which is basically every day that ends in -y. I really love the feathers on it, too; it makes it look more expensive than it is.
  • Speaking of decor, I have a random list of fun items that I have been stalking lately: these wooden chargersthis faux marble clockthese cozy knitted oatmeal throw pillowsthese retro-inspired jadeite S&P shakers, and this baller front door rug, to name a few. I also am trying to talk myself out of buying these adorable kitty cat measuring cups. Ever since Vivi got so into cats, I find myself drawn to them, too.
  • Have you tried the Threshold battery powered, remote controlled faux candles from Target? I am completely in love with them. I thought a fake candle was a fake candle, but these take it to the next level. They seemed a little pricey for fake candles at first to me, but then I realized they aren't really when you consider how much you use them. I have a ton of them in our bedroom and can turn them on and off with the little remote control that I keep by my bed. You can also set them on a time, which is awesome if you fall asleep with them still on. Maybe these have been around forever and I've just been living under a rock, but they are one of my favorite things lately. 
  • I've been watching the JonBenet Ramsey case miniseries on CBS, and it completely sucks you in. Can't wait to see the second half. I've also been setting my DVR for all kind of new shows premiering this week. Some are old faves, and some are new shows that I'm gonna take a gamble on and give a shot. I basically live for Fall TV :)
Hope y'all all have an awesome week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs