Thoughts on a Thursday

Thursday, November 12, 2015

It's been a little quiet over here lately, and that's because we all almost died over this last week. Some recent thoughts:

1) I hope everyone had a happy Veteran's Day. Or, as was the case in our house, a happy "The last kid woke up with the stomach flu, other kid still has diarrhea, you have an antibiotic resistant UTI, and your husband is leaving in the morning for 10 days" Day. 

Yes, yesterday was a hot mess. The past week has been rough, but yesterday was the final straw. I've been in more pain than usual with a bladder infection that didn't want to quit for the last week, and the stomach flu has also been picking us off one-by-one lately. First Alex, then me, then Bobby. Vivi seemed to have an immune system of steel and didn't show even the slightest symptom, so we have been going to great lengths attempting to sequester her from everybody else for days. All seemed to be going well in that arena until yesterday, when the shit hit the fan. Pun intended. Never have I changed so much bedding in my life. First Bobby's. Then Vivi's. Then, as I was changing V's sheets, Bobby came and knocked my Theraflu tea all over my Tempurpedic mattress. So then my bedding had to go, too. At this point, I started getting body aches and chills and came down with a low-grade fever. Everybody kind of lost it for a little while, and then my fever broke, and I started angry-cleaning the house top to bottom in a vain attempt at disinfecting. And Bobby climbed in the bathtub while it was full of bleach. He didn't die, so we are assuming he's okay. Cleaning can kill, guys. Luckily, we woke up feeling SO much better this morning, and everybody is still alive with all their body parts intact. Poor Alex had to leave in the middle of the night, just in time to miss us waking up recovered and acting like civilized humans semi-pleasant.
2) To make myself feel a little bit better, we made a Target run this morning. There isn't much that makes me happier than Target during Christmas. Well...going to Target alone during Christmas. But that's not going to happen anytime soon. They have some gooood stuff out. I have my eyes on these flannel sheets in plaid (because you always need a spare set, right?) and these bottle brush Christmas trees. The pink and mint green would be so perfect in Viv's room! Bobby needed a few cool-weather items, so I snagged him this adorable deer antler sweater. Isn't it so cute? It's on point for Thanksgiving! 

3) Bobby has been speaking with a British accent lately. Yeah. A slightly Southern/slightly British little boy accent. After perplexedly listening to him talk like this for the better part of a week, I finally have deduced that he is getting the accent from watching Peppa Pig. He says our names like a tiny little British boy, with a questioning inflection toward the end of the word. "Dad-dy?" "Mum-ma?" And it is the cutest thing I've ever heard in my life. Until you hear it fifty-'leven times. "Mum-ma? Mum-ma? Mum-ma? Mum-ma?" All day long. And then he doesn't even want anything after he calls my name 10 times in a row in a voice usually reserved for the angels.
 "Mum-ma? Mum-ma? Mum-ma? Mum-ma?" 
"Yes, darling?" 
"Mum-ma? Mum-ma?" 
"What, Bobby?" 
"Mum-ma? Mum-ma?" 
"Oh, God, WHAT?" 
"Hi!" 
4) I have been listening to Christmas music round-the-clock, yet the Halloween spiderwebs are still hanging from my kitchen chandeliers. And I have no excuses for this except {see #1}. That and I'm lazy. 
5) I am finally getting around to watching Modern Family. I know, I'm like seven years behind the times, but I lived on an island in Japan for three of those years. And it's like a time capsule from the 1960s over there, so I'm blaming half of it on that. Anyhow, after hearing about a billion rave reviews on it, I finally started watching the show during the unfortunate plague last week, and I have been dying. It is so darn funny. I've been searching since 2004 for a show that brings me some clever, comforting laughs and takes the place of Friends re-runs. Modern Family nails it. I'm so glad I finally gave into the hype, even if I am the better part of a decade late to the party. 

6) Maybe I'm alone here, but Daylight Saving's Time is the bomb this year. My kids must be the only kids in North America who were affected positively by the change, and, while I do hate that it gets dark at 4:30 over here, I kind of like that it makes me feel like it's almost bed time when the evening news airs. 

7) Speaking of air, Florida weather is killing me. It rained for a week straight, then one day we had Summer levels of humidity, the next day it was in the sixties, and today it was 80. But tomorrow it's supposed to get cold again. I put a jacket on Bobby this week (the one day it was cool), and he looked at it and asked, "what's that?" Big sigh. 
I know, bud. It's a head scratcher.
Here's to smooth sailing for the rest of the week! It's almost the weekend!!
XO


1 comment:

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs