Three-Quarters

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Another month has come and gone, and Vivi is now three-quarters of a year old. She is crawling and therefore completely mobile now, but I have found her new-found sense of freedom to be quite different than her brother's was. As soon as Bobby learned to crawl, he was balls-to-the-wall, non-stop, let's-lick-the-light-sockets-and-suck-on-the-toilet-brush crazy. And he still kind of is. But my point is that he never sat still once he learned to move. He had to be going somewhere, and he had to go full-throttle to get there. 
Vivi is different. She can crawl with complete adequacy, but she doesn't do it all the time. I can put her down on the ground, walk away for a couple of minutes, and return to find her right where I put her. She will crawl if the spirit moves her, but she doesn't have that primal need to move like her ass is on fire busy herself the way Bobby does. At this age, Bobby was chewing on razor blades and fishing pennies out of my purse. It was an epic disaster every time I turned around with him. But so far, no fiascoes with Viv. Of course, some of this could be due to her being the second baby and that we know what to expect already. Our house is already baby-proofed, and I already know all of Bobby's schemes. Plus, he set the bar so high for hijinks, that anybody who doesn't perpetually cause mass destruction seems like a saintly cherub. Viv moves when she wants, but she seems at peace to just sit sometimes. Wonder where she gets that. 

I also wonder where she gets her badassery, because I know it's not from me.
She is beginning to try to pull herself up on to the furniture, but she's not there yet. Her doctor warned that it may take a little while for her to accomplish pulling herself up since she is "bottom heavy." Rude.

 
She does love having more freedom to go where she wants, and she seems awfully proud of herself for it. The other day she and Bobby played a little game where he scattered goldfish crackers all over the living room rug (much to my chagrin, but I was too tired to stop him), and she crawled around like a bird pecking at bread crumbs and ate up every last one of those goldfish. It was the best game ever to her. And she won the game :)

Vivi is still a passionate eater. I've never seen someone get so excited at the sight of food. Well, besides myself. She eats almost all solid foods at this point. Every couple of days I will mix things up and feed her a puree pouch, but she eats what we eat during most meals. She is a big fan of fruit; we do a lot of pear and peach chunks, strawberry slices, and bananas. She especially likes chicken, hamburger meat, pasta, cucumbers, and crackers. Unfortunately, I can already tell she has a burgeoning sweet tooth like her mama. Bobby didn't even eat one tiny bite of his homemade birthday cake that I slaved over. But no worries, because Viv ate it like it was her J-O-B.

She even got on the counter and lunged at it for seconds.

But at least she has nice form.
And then the other night, Vivi had a chocolate ball orgy. Bobby was eating some chocolate that I let him have as a treat, and she wanted some so bad. I was afraid she would choke on the balls, so I put a few into one of those mesh feeders. She went to town on it until I decided she'd had enough and took it away from her. 

This was actually even harder to clean than you'd expect.
After I cleaned up that mess, I turned around to find that she'd stolen her brother's stash and was rolling around in them like a naked pig in mud. 

You know it's been a good night when you've got Whoppers stuck to your ass.

She's still typically sleeping a full 12 hours in her crib at night, although we went through a few nights of waking with teething pain. She is cutting another tooth, this time one of the top front teeth. I am dying for it to come in already, mainly because she has been so uncomfortable, but also because she is going to make the cutest little snaggletooth in all the land. 

{similar headband here }
I am utterly perplexed at how little Vivi naps during the day. She only takes one nap (yes, ONE!), and it often isn't longer than an hour. I have tried getting her to nap more and longer, but she just isn't having it. Bobby took two naps until he was at least 18 months, and he would sometimes sleep two hours at each nap. So I don't understand how a 9 month old can abide on one short nap, but at least she is always pleasant. She doesn't get cranky at all without the extra sleep, so it's really not a huge issue for me. I just find it odd.

Vivi's favorite activities include eating, crawling, saying "da-da," being the victim of her big brother's many shenanigans, and licking the bottom of other peoples' shoes (despite the agony this puts me through).

Our favorite items are kind of all over the map this month:

one  // two // three // four // five // six // seven // eight // nine
You will see that we are fully into teething. We have tested a ton of teethers, and these are our favorite. The foot and round teethers go into the freezer, but they are really nice because they still manage to stay soft and flexible while frozen. I find that the foot is a really nice size to fit into a baby's mouth. Viv also likes the silicone teether with bristles. This one doesn't go in the freezer, so it's nice for taking on the go. Her current favorite toys include the soft blocks, the activity table (we currently have the legs removed), and this adorable ice cream sundae stacker. She's not quite able to stack it herself, but she thinks unstacking it is a riot.
Vivi is at an odd stage, size wise. She is too big for 9 month pjs, but larger sizes are a bit too long. I really like these pajamas from the Children's Place (Hannah Andersson has some adorable similar ones, too). They are footless, giving her a lot of room for growth, and I just put some socks on her feet if it's a cold night. Speaking of feet, she is still wearing size 1 shoes. Most shoes I buy her fall off her itty bitty feet, and moccasins are some of the only shoes I can get to stay on. We love Freshly Picked moccs, as well as moccs from Sweet-n-Swag. Sweet-n-Swag sells moccasins for only $20, which is a steal for shoes that will actually stay on a baby's foot.  

She'd be super desirable in China.
The first year of a baby's life is jam-packed full of milestones, and I have no idea what this next month will bring. I am praying she's not walking by this time next month! Before I know it, we will be celebrating her first birthday!


Hope y'all all have a happy hump day!
Keep on keepin' on!
-Annette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs