Fitness Thursdays- Sun Salutations to Get You Going

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Ever have those days when exercising just seems to be the last thing your body wants to do?  I do, and I love running and being active, but those days still hit me.  Today might be one of them...

The best way I have found to get in the groove is to start slowly with something that doesn’t seem like exercise at all.  I like to run through 5-10 Sun Salutations, because it not only stretches my body but also gets my heart pumping.  Before I know it, I’m ready to begin a harder workout. And even, on the rare occasion, when my body still protests, yoga has its own unique benefits that make it worthwhile even without the hard workout.  


I concentrate on my breathing as I go through each pose of Sun Salutation A, moving very slowly through it for at least the first three times.  A good rule of thumb for hatha breathing is to inhale as your lungs are opening up (think arms stretched wide) and exhale as your lungs collapse (think folding your body over your thighs).  Hatha breathing focuses on the exhale, emptying your lungs of all air.  While you’re supposed to do this all through your nose, if you’re suffering from allergies like I am, breathing through your mouth will be sufficient as well. 

While I dig hardcore workouts, I’m adamant that yoga has a place in every athlete’s routine.  If anything, it helps you focus on your mat and your body’s position to it, which is utterly relaxing.  There is no stress from the outside world as you go through your yoga routine. 

Here is a video if the picture doesn’t quite translate for you.  Try to do at least 5 of the Sun Salutations every other day, and I promise your body will feel better, as well as your mind.

Time to fly (and also breathe),
Liz 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs