DIY Pom Pom Valentine's Garland

Friday, January 23, 2015


I may or may not have an obsession with garlands. I'll drape a garland over anything that will sit still long enough. While I do love the popular tassel garland that you can find all over Instagram and Pinterest right now, I was wanting to go in a different direction for my Valentine's Day garland. I finally decided on a pom-pom garland, because there's something very sweet about pom-poms. Garlands tend to be inexplicably expensive (especially the tassel garlands. Those are definitely worth a DIY project), and I hate paying for something I can make myself. So I set out to make my own garland. It did take some time; I sat down and made these after the kids were asleep while we watch grownup tv. After I became efficient at making the poms, I could make one in about 5 minutes. It's a great project for doing in front of the tv (I wish I'd realized this when I was on bed rest while pregnant with Vivi for 11 years). But it's easy peasy, and I promise anybody--even those with minimal crafting skills--can make this. 

First, you need to fashion a pom-pom maker. The main thing you need here are two parallel sticks. You can use anything--forks, pens, chopsticks. But I used sharpies duct taped to an old cd. Classy, I know, but it gets the job done. I did break out the sassy Hello Kitty duck tape, at least. Once you have taped the sticks parallel to something handheld, you can begin the pom-pom making project.

You will need:
*pom-pom making device
*yarn in whatever colors (for this garland, we are using red, pink, and white)
*scissors
*canvas needles (I found mine in the crochet section at Walmart)
*thick and strong thread

Take the pom-pom making device in one hand and the end of yarn in the other. Wrap the yarn around the sticks over and over.
Continue wrapping for a while until you have made a large ball of yarn (the more yarn you use, the bigger the pom-pom). Cut with scissors and set aside. Cut roughly an 8in strip of yarn.
 
Fish the strip of yarn through the middle of the yarn ball and tie in a knot.


Flip over and tie a double know on the other side of the ball. Both sides should have a secure knot.



 
Hold the yarn ball and begin cutting the loops all the way around.


 
Continue cutting until there are no loops left. You will have a very shaggy pom-pom.
 

Now it's time for ball-shaving, so to speak. Begin cutting the shaggy pom down until you have a neat pom-pom. You will have a lot of discarded yarn. Alex lamented that this is not a very eco-friendly project, to which I say, "pssshhhh." It's cute. Whatev.

Once you have all your pom-poms made, thread your canvas needle.


Insert your threaded needle into the center of a pom-pom and slide onto the string. 
 
Continue until finished.

{nail color is Essie's bump up the pumps}
There you have it! Pretty easy and cute, right? I love it and think it is a fun addition to our foyer. Plus, it makes me happy to know that I made something pretty for my home for under $10. That's a win in my book!


I am getting eager for Spring and am ready to inject a bit of brightness and color into my home and closet. I have been crushing on a lot of fun Springy things:
*this Kate Spade striped tablecloth would be fab draped over a table for a party.
*this Janie & Jack romper needs to get in Vivi's closet asap.
*these jadeite cake stands would be perfect for Spring. I am having to talk myself out of these daily.
*this emerald green desk is making me completely reevaluate my downstairs decor.
*also, has anyone else been watching Hindsight, the new 90's period dramedy on VH1. I know, I haven't watched VH1 since I was maybe 16 years old, and I expected this show to be a bit cheesy. But it's not! It's actually really cute and fun. Might be worth checking out if you are looking for a new show.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Keep on keepin' on!
-Annette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs