Breakfast: Your Mama Told You It Was Important

Tuesday, January 6, 2015


I am a breakfast-eating gal.  There has never been a time in my life when I have not eaten breakfast.  With that said, however, my breakfast health certainly has changed over the years. 

I don’t keep boxed cereal in the house any longer, and it isn’t because I don’t think it is delicious.  It is!  But, it is also filled with empty carbohydrates and a lot of sugar.  No wonder cereal-eating folks are hungry before lunchtime rolls around!  And, I’ve tried the healthy versions, but you just can’t beat HoneyNut Chex, Cinnamon Life, Honey Bunches of Oats.  Yikes!  The sugar, the fake ingredients, the empty belly two hours later!  Oy vey!

So, to start your new year in a healthy way, here are some healthy breakfast options (quick ones for the work week) that taste great and will keep you filled up for a great workout, play time with kiddos, etc. all until lunchtime. 

Eggs.  Poor eggs, they get such a bad rap for cholesterol.  Did you know that it has been proven that the cholesterol in eggs does not raise blood cholesterol level in the majority of people?  It’s true         -> link here.  50% of mornings, I eat an egg, over easy, nicely layered over a buttered piece of toast.  I buy local eggs that come from happy, bug and scrap-munching chickens, and the eggs truly do taste better. 

Baked Oatmeal.  For those who don’t like the consistency of the stovetop stuff (don’t talk to me about microwave oatmeal- shudder), baked oatmeal will win you over!  You can make this the night before if you aren’t planning on getting up an hour before the hungry hoards in your house arise.  Just spatula up an individual square in the morning, pop it into the microwave for a minute, and pour some cold milk over the top.  Delicious! I loosely base my baked oatmeal off this recipe.

Granola.  I already wrote about my love for a certain recipe.  Find it on this blog post.

Handheld Breakfast Pies or Burritos. Think empanadas filled with eggs, sausage, cheese, and veggies of your choosing.  Use a basic pie dough recipe or tortilla and make up the inside to your taste.  Wrap these delectable guys in foil and freeze for a grab-n-go option.

Whole Milk Yogurt or Whole Milk.  Neither of these options will fill me up, but pair it with one of the above, and you have yourself a protein-filled breakfast.  I make our yogurt at home and sweeten it with honey before it incubates (recipe here- it is easier than you think!), and we only use whole milk.  We can get raw milk from a local provider, and raw milk is so tasty I often can’t decide between a craft beer at night or a tall glass of milk.  Seriously, it is that good.  And no, whole milk isn't going to make you fat... Read why here.

With that, enjoy a delicious, didn’t come from a box, breakfast tomorrow! 

I must go get a glass of milk now.  Just talking about it makes me thirsty. 
Time to fly,
Liz 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs