Holiday Season Love List + a Trip to the ER

Monday, November 24, 2014


You know what sucks more than being awake for nearly 24 hours? Being awake for nearly 24 hours because your child has to go to the Emergency Room. 

We have been spending time with family in Atlanta, and everything has been going really well, aside from Bobby's runny nose, which he's had for a couple of days now. I have to brag that those two babies were perfect angels the entire trip up here. They didn't fuss in the car at all, which is great, because I had my earplugs prepped and ready to at a moment's notice. But they really were excellent during the 5.5 hour drive up.
This helped.
Yesterday was a fun, laid-back afternoon with Alex's family. We watched Elf, ate biscuits and cake, and some people played a card game while others played with the babies. I took tiny nap. It was glorious. Again, Bob seemed mostly fine throughout the entire day. Alex and I were just about to bed down for the night and ease off to sleep, whenever we heard a bizarre sound coming from the monitor. It was a sound I've never heard before. My mother's intuition took charge, and I told Alex to run down and get Bobby right now; I just knew something wasn't right. Alex brought Bobby up the stairs, and the poor guy was wheezing and gasping for breath. His chest was heaving; he couldn't get enough air in. I couldn't tell if it sounded like croup or something worse. It definitely didn't sound like the croup he had last year. My mind automatically went to those recent news reports on the enterovirus that has been going around lately and killing kids in their sleep. I knew some of the symptoms included runny nose, cough, and wheezing, and Bobby was presenting all of these symptoms. Alex and I automatically decided to take him into the Pediatric ER, no questions asked. It was so scary when I was sitting in the back seat with him telling him to breathe; he couldn't catch his breath. It felt like we were moving so slowly, even though Alex had the flashers on, was running through lights, and was probably going about 70. We finally got to the ER after what felt like an eternity, and they rushed him right in. The doctor said it was a severe presentation of croup, and that he was glad we brought him in. They gave the poor guy a steroid shot and then asked us to hold the breathing treatment mask on his face. Haha, yeah right. You've obviously never had a toddler before, guy. It was like fighting a rabid cat into a bathtub. There was screaming, clawing, hitting, wrestling, and more screaming. It was a scene from the Exorcist. People kept tapping on the door and sticking their heads in, probably to make sure we weren't actually murdering our firstborn. It eventually took 3 grown adults to hold our toddler down and hold the breathing mask to his face. We were all sweating at that point. It was literally the longest five minutes of my life.

And then he threw up all over me, so I got to don a lovely and soft hospital gown of my own. 

Once the breathing treatment was over, the doctor said we needed to just lie down and wait to see if the shot and breathing treatment seemed to make a difference. Okay, I thought, I can lie down (considering I'd been up for about 21 hours at this point). It was 1am; surely Bobby had to be tired, right? Wrong. The steroids started to kick in, so not only was he still wheezing and coughing like a seal, but he was also wired and wound up tighter than a pair of Vivi's jeggings. 

After a couple more hours, they released us, but warned us that since croup is very contagious, we need to keep Bobby and Vivi away from each other.


Good luck with that.
And that there's a good chance he's already infected her with the virus. So now we are watching Vivi like shes a ticking time bomb. Ugh. This seems to be a trend with Bobby and Thanksgiving. At this exact same time last year, Bobby was in the hospital in my hometown with a severe virus, rash, dehydration, and croup. We completely missed Thanksgiving Day last year, so I am hoping that we get to eat a little turkey and pecan pie this year. And I am praying that the little missy doesn't get sick next.
She seems okay for now.
Anyhow, on to more exciting things. I am so ready for some good eating on Thursday and then some good shopping on Friday! I've never actually done Black Friday, and I can't decide how badly I want to do it. I may just be lazy and take advantage of Cyber Monday instead of getting slaughtered in the disaster that is Black Friday. Honestly, the best part about Friday is that it is the socially-acceptable day to start decorating for Christmas and dressing your children in Christmas clothes! They have some great holiday clothing and accessories for kids and adults out right now. I am especially loving the Star Wars fair isle Christmas pjs for boys, the reindeer sweater dress for girls (and that adorable buffalo plaid furry cape!), and the Kate Spade bow ornament. Too many cute things for the season!

Please keep my babies in your prayers. I hate when they are sick. I would rather be sick 100 times over than have to see them sick and scared. 

We are hoping for a full recovery, looking forward to a lot of delicious food, and hanging out with friends and family. Hope y'all all have a wonderful Monday! And now I'm going to close my eyes for a few minutes. 

Keep on keepin' on!
-Annette



No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs