Is That Cake Gluten-Free?

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Walk into a grocery store, and it’s difficult not to come face-to-face with gluten-free everything.   Google “Wheat Belly” and you’ll be convinced eating gluten will cause your belly to swell like a pigeon eating rice.  Drink some water, and KA-BLAMMY You’re nothing but a mess on the sidewalk. 

But, you can’t knock what you haven’t tried, right?  And the Wheat Belly guy really did have me thinking pigeon destruction days were only moments away, so with my husband TDY- temporary duty yonder, and I really love that the military uses “yonder”- (aka no one home to shame my Gluten-free experiment since I do not have a condition that warrants a gluten avoidance, such as Celiac Disease), I bought all of those GF products, from the flours to the pasta and have been GF for three months now (excluding two-three beers per week… I am in Americaland, a place where beer flows like wine).

The major pitfall of GF for those leaping into it for non-medical reasons is it’s easy to think you can eat more, because it’s “healthier”.  Brownies made with coconut flour!  I probably burn more calories just chewing them!  Unfortunately, gluten-free does not mean food morphs into having celery-like qualities.  Rats.  However, the principle of becoming gluten-free, actually ELIMINATING gluten, is a good one since the emphasis is on vegetables, lean meats, fruits, and whole foods.  Cut out the junk and sugar, and load that plate with veggies and meats rather than starches and sweets, and you have yourself a fantastic food mindset. 

For me, the best way to sum it up is in my running times:

Eating every bit of gluten in 2012,
half marathon, 1:41:23 (fresh legs)
Gluten-free in 2014, half marathon, 1:45:00
(tired legs- 10k & 5k the prior day at a sub 7:30 pace)
So, did I notice a difference?  Meh.  Not really.  Don’t you dare blame the beer and say it invalidated the research.  Scientific research always has extenuating circumstances. 

Will I continue the GF drive?  Sort of… Most of our food is heavy on veggies, lean meats and legumes, and we have almost no processed foods in our house, but that isn't anything new.  Our starch is typically rice thanks to the five 10-kg bags of primo Japanese rice that arrived with our household goods shipment from Japan.

I really dig the cookbook The Feed Zone, in which Allen Lim sums, “I’m not an advocate of either a gluten-free or gluten-rich diet.  If athletes tell me they are doing better without wheat, I am likely to believe them.”  The power of the mind.  If anything, I believe it will help you to focus on how you build your plate.   

Some GF treats that really did make a swap into our house:

King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Bread Mix
This mix is awesome and is great for when you want home-baked bread in a hurry.  It yields a loaf that slices up nicely, is excellent as toast and has a delectably light texture.

Empowered Sustenance Paleo Coconut Flour Brownies
I have tried MANY brownie recipes, gluten and gluten-free alike, and this recipe is the one that does it for me.  This is where I had the "brownies are not celery" talk with myself. 

Where GF doesn’t even come close:

* Ever had reheated GF pasta (why would you not make enough homemade mac ‘n cheese to sustain your toddler’s desire to have it for breakfast)?  It makes you wonder why you’re even bothering to eat.  Cue Gandhi hunger strike until companies agree to stop making it. 

* Cinnamon rolls… I love The Spunky Coconut recipes 90% of the time.  That love blinded me into making her Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls.  My son was so excited when I told him, “Pumpkin rolls for breakfast!”  He took a bite and cried.  No, seriously, almost three year olds have a very fragile concept of what necessitates tears.  When I took a bite, I did not follow suit and burst into tears, but I was pretty sure my efforts could have been put to better use.  I bet if you’ve never had gluten-laced cinnamon rolls or legitimately cannot have them, these pumpkin rolls would amaze you.

* Annette’s cakes.  Yeah, the ones you see right here on this blog.  I could search until I found the right amount of tapioca starch to substitute and how much xanthan gum to add.  Or I could just enjoy a damn good slice of cake.

Scientific conclusion*:  Eat good food. Take note of how your body feels when you eat food.  Make changes accordingly.  Gluten will not cause you to implode… Probably. 
*I am not a scientist.  

And when it comes down to treats, taste is really what matters most:
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Scones
So delicious that you will be the star of the entire CrossFit gym of people, 
who don't actually need to be gluten-free but will insist on Paleo-only food.  
Or, you can give them to the kid with real food allergies and make 
his day awesome.   Recipe to follow in the next posting.
Time to fly,
Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs